Tuesday, August 10, 2010

ManCamp Day #2


A tough day today...there is nothing tranquil about 130k of riding with 7500 ft. of elevation gain, 5 miles running, and pool session.

My plan was to remain as steady as possible, but all those went awry after beginning the climb out of Estes Park into Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a beautiful ride, peaking out above 12,000 feet, but there is no way to take that easy. We regrouped right before the top; JD & Gordo rolled over the top together and a fortunate road construction stop allowed Scott & I to go over the top just behind Petro.

An awesome descent into Grand Lake and a good stop for a bona fide breakfast. Of course, Gordo drilled it out of town and pulled a very solid pace. The heart rate frenzy to stay on created a bit of issue with the digestion...needless to say the massive shunting of blood to my gut kept the legs pretty anemic. I was definitely "shunted" and as we hit the climb into Frazier I was happy to voluntarily pull the plug and cruise back into town with Scott. This was my only shot at normal gut peristalsis resuming this evening.

We headed out for 5 mile run; nothing is easy at 8,500 feet. The swim was certainly no better. Fortunately with self-appointed medical waiver for my shoulder (Camp Doc has its privileges!), I took it a bit easier than the rest of the boys.

Heading to dinner...we are all salivating at the dinner aroma Jen has all cooked up. More tomorrow.
J

No comments: