Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Man Camp Day #3


2 Pass Day

After our swim session and massive breakfast, a mandatory nap was called before the morning rollout. I have to say that was a nice way to start and given the delay (and a little Linkin Park) I rolled the 1st 8 miles to the beginning of the switchbacks on Berthoud Pass at a good clip. I did feel a little better today than the past few and took advantage of the perky feeling.

Having done a few camps in the past, I'm well aware of what training load I can typically back up. Just to hang on the past few days on a couple of Gordo's pulls and to complete the climbs was all the intensity I needed. And generally speaking, I enjoy leaving the camps in better shape than I come. For me, this means a lot of humility and taking it easy through the 1st part of the week.

In any case, 13 miles, 2,500- 3000 feet of climbing, and 60 minutes later I hit the top of the pass. I was able to crest before the rest of the MEN except Gordo (who dropped me like rock when we hit the steep stuff) on the account of my sneak attack right out of the gate.

After regrouping, we cruised together until the base of Loveland Pass. Needless to say my earlier effort doomed any attempt at a fast ascent up this one. We got a group pic at the top and cruised into Dillon. I gave it a shot at the city limit sign sprint, but even dead assed tired Petro can easily ride me of his wheel, though the attack was quite far out and equally as sneaky as mine at the rollout.

We finished up the day with our standard 5 mile run before dinner. Gordo & Petro were feeling a little peppy and negative split the way home. Unfortunately this generated some later dinner discussion and JD has now introduced sprint primes into our runs. Look out folks, I think this may cause some damage.

J

No comments: