Monday, October 27, 2008

Rested

Following 3 easy days with no bike time and rested, the results are in.

Not surprisingly, the downward hr trend did not continue. During the first 4 weeks of progressive volume, I was successful in gaining an appropriate amount of fatigue. This resulted in a depressed hr for the given effort. After a short rest, my hr response returned to what historically I would expect for the work required for my ironman bike output.

MBT Results:

Date Watts Duration Avg. HR
9/28 180 60 min 147
10/6 180 60 min 135
10/13 180 60 min 131
10/20 180 60 min 130
10/27 180 60 min 140

Given the lack of a big build and deeper fatigue, I'm going to have a couple of repeat building weeks with no real taper for the swim/bike at Silverman. I will have one more test to report.

In response to Gordo's comment, I don't have my powermeter back yet so no power numbers on the road. Fingers crossed for Silverman...SRM said it would be done today and back later this week.

J

4 comments:

Gordo Byrn said...

An important discovery but one we knew already from our time at Epic. Still, nice to have it confirmed in the field using non-extreme training.

It would have been fun to track fat oxidation across the time period -- I bet that would have improved quite a bit from start to finish.

Thanks for sharing.

g-daddy

Josh said...

Hey Bro J-

Good luck this weekend!!

Josh

BRFOOT said...

Good luck Jeff

Jeff Shilt, M.D. said...

Thanks Josh & Bryan.

I agree, g~daddy...let me know when you want to loan me the met cart for my next little experiment!!!

J