Monday, October 6, 2008

5 weeks to go

For those following the blog, this is installlment 2 of the MBT experiment. I will jot down my training schedule and a bit of whats going on in my head the next 5 weeks. I haven’t put my TT bike back together yet after returning from Placid, so all of my bike training has been down on my old Elite TT with Powercranks, mountain bike and my road bike. I certainly need to get the P3 together and will do so before my longest ride in two weeks.

So, first the training.

Mon: Bogus hill climb 1:30 (max 156/avg 144) 35min descent (148/116) total bike: 2:05

Tues: PC’s on the trainer 60 min done as (20 min ez/20 min high cadence/20 min BRO)(133/113)

Wed: Brick Workout with group on track w/u on bike, 4 x 1 mile run top end of mod hard, separated by 10 min on the bike and then cool down. Max 173-run, avg 130. ~60 minutes on bike

Thurs: road bike trainer 80 min (150/127)

Friday (biz trip): 30 min run (ez, no data)

Sat (biz trip): 45 min run (144 for 20 min/150 for 20 min/5 min cool down)

Sun: 60 mile group ride 2:30 max 186 (???never been higher than 174) avg 154. Then 30 min up and down bottom of Bogus to get 3hours 148/133.

The results of the MBT:

Date Watts Duration Avg. HR
9/28 180 60 min 147
10/6 180 60 min 135

That change seems pretty dramatic. I calibrated the computrainer the same way this week as last, so I don't think measurement error is in play. There has been a bit of max hr effort. Generally your cardiovascular system responds within 3 days of training. How that “feels” to me is the harder efforts on the bike feel pretty easy CV wise, but the legs feel heavy and are currently my limiter. The quick CV response could certainly be playing a role with tired legs creating a decoupling effect. Fun to watch in any regard.

That’s a wrap for week one. Shoot your comments my way and happy to discuss.

J

2 comments:

BRFOOT said...

only 1 day of running? at any rate variety certainly seems benificial to you.

Jeff Shilt, M.D. said...

Bryan:

I had 3 days of running last week and 3 this week. The training schedule isn't all inclusive of my training.

I have been surprised by the downward trend the past weeks...certainly a quicker training effect than I expected. We will see if it continues. It has been fun-we'll see how it goes.

Jeff