Saturday, July 28, 2007

Commitment


This entry is on the eve of the final day of my toughest 2 week training block of the summer. Today we knocked off a 7 hour,160 mile ride to Wiggins, and I was happy to be just part of this group.

(see pic above, listed left to right: Marilyn Macdonald, Chris McDonald, my brother John, AJ Johnson, Gordo, Me, Dennis Meeker, Justin Daerr, Mat "the Intern" Steinmetz, Billy Edwards)

I'm drawn to people who are successful in reaching difficult goals, and Gordo certainly fulfills that criteria. I wouldn't bet against him in Canada; there might be those who have more "talent" (whatever that means), but there are few people I know who consistently live their commitment to goals in a logical, stepwise fashion.

Our group ride plan was to roll to Wiggins in a civil manner, take a short lunch break, digest for the next 25 miles or so, and then everyone was free to attack and ride as aggressively as they would like.

As Gordo rolled by after the attacks began, he said "18 months for these 50 miles..."

I would expect nothing less.
__________________________

Following a protein shake, I went out for a 20 minute transition run. Needless to say, the boys reduced me to a run-walk session with our girls' dog, Luna. Ferocious little Shih Tzu!!!!

2 comments:

BRFOOT said...

I hope to get to meet you guys in Pentictan. It will be great to see Gordo get the win. And I'm sure all of you will do well. from reading the blogs of you and your training partners it's obvious you have all put in the time and effort.It's been very inspiring to me.
Bryan

Jeff Shilt, M.D. said...

Sounds good, Bryan. My post sums up my thoughts on Gordo. Hope your training is going well.

J