Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Putting It Back Together



Since my last post, I've completed my biggest training weeks of the summer and taught a spine course in Niagara Falls. Assuming I would bounce back after a few rest days, I was bit suprised last week when I felt increasingly drained after every training session. I was able to complete a solid 23+ hours; that said, I was a little apprehensive in answering the eternal "approaching your 'A' race question"...How do you feel"?

After a few days reflection (and the comfort of regaining some fitness composure and a solid lactate run test), I'm certain "the plan" is right on schedule. I feel normal now and I'm beginning to get that internal buzz in anticipation for the race. I have new found appreciation for the TDF cyclists who describe not feeling their best a few days before the race in anticipation of coming around during the crucial 3rd week of the tour. Though I know I still have plenty of freshening remaining, I can "see" it all falling into place.

Part of the confidence in the plan is knowing that I've put in the training and I'm now moving into the execution phase. On race day, I won't be anticipating any sudden appearance of new talents or hidden fitness. My job will be to proceed with the plan I've prepared on the fitness I've gathered the preceding months.

In one of my prior posts, I discussed the success of endeavors relying upon ability, desire and social support. Fortunately I've been significantly blessed in this last trait...there is NO better support than my family. Erin and the girls have sacrificed a great deal to be here with me this summer. John, the eternal training partner, has been there every step of the way. And my parents-I look forward to "sharing" a 5th IM together.
*************************************************

The picture at the top...that was in late April at the end of my base training period. That is when worrying makes it difference...fear of showing up on race day undertrained...the motivation to train harder and more consistently.

2 comments:

sara said...

just wanted to say good luck! sounds like you have gotten some solid training and more importantly some invaluable life lessons...i've enjoyed reading as always

Jeff Shilt, M.D. said...

Thanks, Sara.

Hope all is well and see you all soon.

J