Monday, July 2, 2007

What Got Me Here

This is my introductory blog. I know it has been some time coming, but wrapping up some work obligations takes precedence. Also, I didn’t want to be a distraction to the Cour de Alene crew…I know how someone’s training log can derail your own, and you guys have been rolling well.

On that note, a big congratulations to all the finishers at Cour de Alene. The swim times reflected the rough water conditions. My knowledge of this years training has been peripheral, but I know you guys prepared well and it shows (including the beer tent boys…your continued enjoyment of the sport persuades me that the lifestyle I’ve chosen is a healthy one far beyond the competitive racing period-Thanks). I saw a slowtwitch post the other day relaying an 8 and 4 minute slower average swim and bike time in comparison to a very difficult last year, so you guys should be proud of those finishes.

A bit about what I’m doing in Boulder. As most of you know, I’ve become pretty passionate about endurance training. I’ve learned a lot in the 4 years since my first Ironman and this has allowed me to help others as well. Though I’ve made slow progress personally, I’ve felt deficient in helping those around me achieve their personal fitness and training goals. As the desire to improve my knowledge base occupied much of my thoughts, my chairman, Gary Poehling, had a vision to start a human performance institute at Wake Forest. Coincidentally, Gordo Byrn likewise was starting a similar program in Boulder. This proved mutually beneficial as Gordo was kind enough to share his knowledge of fitness/training and business savvy with me in return for any medical expertise I could provide him during the formation of his business. In the fall, the Orthopaedic Department at Wake Forest intends to start feasibility plans on a human performance institute in Winston-Salem. I have affectionately termed the project, WHIP. Wake forest Health sciences Institute for human Performance. Stay tuned as the year progresses.

So the title of my first blog may sound a bit like a title to a sad blues song, but it is intended to reference the one person who has given me the courage to pursue my dreams. My hope is that I’m able to make her personal sacrifices worthwhile.