Monday, March 17, 2008

Share the Road

Had a great ride this weekend that included a local climb, Pilot Mountain. For those old TV buffs, this landmark is highlighted in the Andy Griffith Show.

The Pilot Mtn Climb is one of the 3 climbs we do in the area to test your climbing skills. Two of my buddies who are attending the Endurance Corner Camp next week in Tucson were with me. I was on my road bike, whereas they were both on their tri bikes. Suffice to say, after 2.5 miles, 9 switchbacks, and ~1,200 ft elevation gain I was doing my best to stay on Jicke's wheel @ 16:45. Nick had beat us both up to the top by a minute or so, confirming the fitness he was bringing to camp.

Safety has been on the forefront of my mind lately. Kristy Gough was recently killed in a cycling accident and a good friend of mine crashed one yr ago descending this same mountain when he rolled a tubular. We were patient coming down and I reminded myself of one of the lessons from my Epic Camp experience...we never time the descents.

On that somber note, check out this cycling safety video. Pass it around to those you know, especially those who don't cycle. They are the ones we typically need to worry most about.

Safe Training,
J

No comments: