Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Running


I had a great opportunity this past weekend to run with Frank Shorter. Our local run club, Twin City Track Club, sponsored his visit, group run, and several speeches in the area. He is very agreeable and a fun guy. This was particularly neat for me as my staple run this past summer in Boulder included passing his statue at the University. Upon meeting him I told him that I ran with him every day this past summer...he initially looked at me like I was a loon until I explained.
************************
I spent the past week reviewing data from many of the people who participated in our Tri Clubs October run challenge. It was nice that many people shared their data with me. Though there were enough gaps in the data that I wouldn't feel comfortable publishing any findings, the trend seemed pretty consistent. For the most part, there was a general drop in avg mile pace from the beginning of the challenge to the end (certainly not surprising) for the same heart rate. The most dramatic change occurred after the first week and the beginning of the final week. My brother did a great job on collecting very accurate data for heart rate, distance, and time. I will post his graph as it is pretty cool to see in that format.



Like review of most scientific data, this exercise raised more questions than it answered. One of particular interest was the self selected heart rates of the prescribed "easy" or "aerobic" effort. I was certainly at the low end and averaged less than 139 bpm for the entire month, far less than my 148 bpm aerobic ceiling I use for IM run pacing. Some less experienced athletes were putting some efforts I would classify as anaerobic before they detonated from a variety of biomechanical aches and pains. That said, my fitness continued to improve at what grossly appeared to be the same rate as those going much harder than I. I think this is pretty fascinating, and likely why I'm able to easily regain run fitness without the typical rash of tendinitis issues I commonly see and hear about.
**************************

On that note, I included a response to a buddy of mine that I train with. He has a great engine, but seems to chronically have biomechanical crashes that prevent the consistency and longevity that is so crucial to IM success. It may provide some benefit to others, so see below:


"I've been thinking quite a bit about your prior running issues. I would recommend taking it easy on the run, given your susceptibility to tendinitis. I think your best bet is EASY runs, no more than 45 minutes and stack them everyday until you get 6 weeks under your belt injury free. Heart rates less than 135 to assure that you aren't pounding too hard. For a guy like you, this will feel like walking.

The reason behind this is that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for your tendons, cartilage and bone to make structural changes in response to new biomechanical stresses. Given that you have a great cardiovascular system, your musculoskeletal system is challenged to respond as quickly. We know this isn't possible as cardiovascular fitness responds in just a few days whereas your musculoskeletal system requires 6-8 weeks. If you are patient and successful with this plan, I know you can still run fast at Disney, b/c your cardiovascular system will be fit from the swim/bike. Musculoskeletally you will be durable b/c of the slow build up."

********************
Best of luck with your spring build,
J

No comments: