Sunday, July 26, 2009

6 Week Countdown to Ö till Ö

My big event this year is Ö till Ö, a one day event that takes place on an archipelago off the coast of Stockholm, Sweden. I will be teaming up with my brother, commemorating his 30th birthday.

The challenge should be a good one, as our individual triathlon weaknesses are opposite, but yet both comprise the race. John, in relative terms, has been the slower runner. He has put in a really great running base this year since moving to Boise. We just completed a 3 week block with 54/57/60 miles running. We've included a variety of terrain, including some tough uphill sections in the Boise Foothills. This past week he surged towards the end of one of our 16 mile runs...I was certain he was going to blow up. Instead, he finished strong and was able to carry that effort to the finish.

Swimming has certainly been my "achilles tendon" in the past. After a bigger effort this past year, my swim times significantly improved. I was able to put down one of my faster swims with a good buddy of mine in SoCal, KP, this spring at the end of a 4k swim recording a low 14:xx effort. However, a re-injury of a chronic shoulder issue flared-up and I had a SLAP tear surgically repaired on 3/2/9. Since that time, it has been full-on with recovery and rehab. I was cleared to swim without restrictions at 4 months post-op, but had started kicking and drills a month before that. Though I have a ways to go to get back to sub 14:30, I've made significant gains in my 1000 TT efforts every week.

One of the fun component of the race is the multiple transitions and choosing appropriate gear. We've spent some time trialing some different gear options in some swim-run bricks, but we haven't chosen our final gear. More of that time to come in the upcoming weeks.

One other aspect of the race that is neat is the live tracking of the event. During the race, each team keeps a GPS which can be followed on line to track progress. Pretty cool.

Hope your summer training is going well.
Dr. J

No comments: