Monday, October 1, 2007

Poker Pacing F/U, Economy & Efficiency

A couple of different thoughts I would share this week.

The first is a reflection on “poker pacing.” Although this was just a fun exercise I developed during training this past year, it is amazing to me how many times I’ve seen this same concept discussed in different contexts. Anecdotally, I knew I was getting faster as the year progressed practicing this technique. Nearly all my results demonstrated that negative splits WERE possible; especially when appropriate pacing and training were in line with my goal split at the end of the day.

It was a hoot to see the new marathon record go down this weekend. Interesting was to look at the pacing strategy. I would love to see his hr rate efforts. The effort required to run that much faster at the end of the marathon requires a much “easier” effort early in the day.

The course is described as reasonably uniform, so I think it unlikely that the course plays much role in the pacing effort. There is 5 ~ 80-100 ft elevations over the course and 2 of them are in the 1st 10K, with one each in the other 10Ks. Berlin Marathon Elevation Chart

Haile Gebrselassie at the Berlin Marathon
5 km: 00:14:44
10 km: 00:29:27 / 00:14:43
15 km: 00:44:16 / 00:14:50
20 km: 00:59:10 / 00:14:54
25 km: 01:14:05 / 00:14:55
30 km: 01:28:56 / 00:14:51
35 km: 01:43:38 / 00:14:43
40 km: 01:58:08 / 00:14:30

I find it humorous when people are offended when told that their pacing strategy isn’t realistic for their fitness if they positive split. For some reason, we have this funny programming that makes us think we can have some super heroic day b/c we go fast early in a race. Rarely, people learn from this mistake. It is really fun when you take the chance to run with appropriate pacing and can finish a race strong.


After spending the week working on the metabolic cart with Alan & Mat at the Endurance Corner Lab, I realized that I’ve chosen wisely when it comes to career choice. Though I certainly don’t consider myself an intellectual giant, my physiological limiters are far greater than my intellectual ones.

In any case, it was interesting to see that I’ve been able to achieve reasonable IM success despite a pitiful VO2 max. How, you might ask? Well, it’s pretty obvious on any of my group training sessions. Nearly anyone can bury me in a training session by revving up their engine a bit and putting in a burst of speed, as a result of their larger engine. But the longer or later we are in the session, the less chance this is likely to occur.

Why? Well my endurance is reasonable. Though I’ve not had a muscle biopsy to prove it, I suspect I’m nearly all slow twitch fibers and my training has created the peripheral adaptations necessary to be very economical. Based upon the numbers we generated, I’ve really maximized the economic side of things.

So that leaves efficiency. These two terms are often confused. Whereas economy is the final outcome (velocity) for a given energy, efficiency is bit more “upstream” and the power output for a given energy. The latter can be affected by anatomic structure and technique, therefore affecting the final outcome, economy. Fortunately, I know that I still have tremendous room to improve in technique in both swimming and running which will result in an improved efficiency, and henceforth, economy.

Of course, that leaves cycling. I don’t think I’ve achieved my economic ceiling here. Furthermore, I think I’m leaving quite a bit on the table in regards to positioning for maximum power output. Though this may be (and this is a BIG may be) a bit less aerodynamic, our early calculations suggest an overall improvement in speed. More on this a later post.

3 comments:

BRFOOT said...

Jeff
I too was amazed with the marathon record and wondered what his HR was. That caliber of athlete has to have some anatomical advantages as well as physiological. His stroke volume:body size ratio has to help.
So what would you consider a pitiful VO2 max?? I'm betting you've got my lousy 58 beat. And I've not had a biopsy either but I'm pretty sure my 2 or 3 slowtwitch fibers are scared of all of my fast twitch fibers. Which makes endurance training a little frustrating. I like your poker running idea it seems to force the fast twitch fibers to recruit "better". I also wonder what role confidence plays. ie: If you run the back half of most if not all of your runs at a higher HR. Then come race day and you look down at your HR and its at LT you don't freak out.
Which brings me back to the marathon record holder, I've read that both the Ethiopian and Kenyan runners run fast most of the time. Which makes me wonder if they are even concerned with HR.
Bryan

Jeff Shilt, M.D. said...

Bryan: I would like to confirm the VO2max numbers b4 I write too much...it was a very good looking test given all of the parameters, but I was only 4 weeks or so post IMC and at altitude 6 wks following a break from it.

In regard to the elite runners, I don't have any specific personal experience. Most of the elite marathoners I saw in Boulder didn't appear to be spending much time at threshold...but this was casual observation. I did get some second hand info from the folks at the OTC at a recent visit..I didn't get the impression that they were logging big miles at threshold or above efforts.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for checking in.

Gordo Byrn said...

Guys,

Read Lucho's blog -- see link through comment on post above. That will show you want elite runners actually do.

You can also read Lydiard's book on running he's got a section on his view of an elite running protocol for the marathon.

g