Monday, September 10, 2007

End of Summer Progress Report


There have been 2 events that have radically changed my triathlon experience. The above picture is John and I following completion of the first one, Epic Camp 2005. I have some very fond memories of that year...

Progress Report
I’ve had many people’s dream summer, spending nearly every day the past four months constantly learning about endurance training in a real life lab. I surrounded myself with folks who have real life knowledge about “what it takes” to succeed in Ironman racing. I spent time gathering their individual accounts of the training methods and the recovery techniques required to progress in the sport. I sincerely thank all the members of Team Good Guys for their patience and openness this summer.

Many of these experiences have been accounted on preceding and upcoming entries. The cliff notes for the summer don’t do justice to the personal experience. Some might be disappointed to find that I don’t have any new found wisdom to become more fit and race fast. Most of those who “are in the know” might not find this surprising. To quote a good friend of mine, “there is no easy way”. This applies to becoming fit, losing weight, or racing fast. Though there are quirks and nuances about every successful person’s path, but they are similar in that Ironman success demands years of persistence and consistent, progressive training.

Some might disagree…there are those out there who report fantastic success on little training and no significant triathlon background. And to be fair, none of our training group is considered a “superstar”…you know, the guy or girl who wins an Ironman on 1st or 2nd attempt. So perhaps my experience is skewed by my lack of association with this sort of individual. But I’m satisfied short of these few exceptions with my assessment.

Without exception, Team Good Guys had great results this year…, Gordo padded his racing palmare with another win at the Napa Half IM, Justin Daerr reach the 9:00 barrier at IMC, Brandon took 1st Elite at Racine and 2nd Elite at LifeTime Fitness, Dennis took at 11th age grouper at Buffalo Springs half, and Billy Edwards went top 10 at CdA and got a Kona pro spot. I believe these collective experiences are valuable because they represent the gains that are possible by those willing to work hard. I can substantiate that this type of success is possible for those who surround themselves with the proper support and have a desire to improve.

Though I can’t provide a new training plan or regimen that is going to revolutionize the sport, the experience has given me the opportunity to recognize the nuances that assist in continued improvement or lead to subsequent failure. I don’t anticipate the learning process will ever stop, but I feel this summer was replete with invaluable lessons.

I was also fortunate to gain additional perspectives from athletes who dropped into train intermittently. Tim Luchinske, Marilyn MacDonald, Chris McDonald (who won his first Ironman at Kentucky this past month), Brent Sheldrake, Mark van Aaken and many others shared some their experiences. The recurring theme repeated itself in that each of their successes were the result of remaining healthy over a long period of time in order to gain the aerobic endurance to continually improve.

I learned an invaluable lesson as well from Monica Byrn. She comes closer than any of the above of meeting the criteria of a superstar. After a stellar, record setting swim background in high school and college she had immediate success in short course triathlon. After an unfortunate bike wreck resulting in a shattered wrist, she switched to long course to avoid the bike hazards inherent to short course racing. Her impact in long course triathlon was equally impressive, leading IM Hawaii multiple times before ending up with a top finishes. Unfortunately, a hamstring injury has hampered her for the past couple of years and has been recalcitrant to every traditional treatment method. Observation of her continuing recovery has been educational: the elite athlete’s frustration of injury, the failure of the medical profession to facilitate her road to recovery, and the mental fortitude necessary to persist down that path.

Another good friend and mentor experienced a similar physical setback this year, Kevin Purcell. His recovery mirror’s Monica’s in the positive mental approach required to progress forward, over and around life’s obstacles.

My experience has been influenced beyond my immediate circle. I spent time with Mat Dixon at the Endurance Performance Training Center in San Francisco and he has been gracious in lending his expertise. They have an incredible team and a first rate operation. Anyone interested in improving their performance that lives on the West Coast should take the opportunity to spend some time there.

Locally, I got a 3-D bike fit with Dr. Andy Pruitt and Todd Carver at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine. They have the highest level of technical gadgetry available to accurately assess and successfully incorporate medical expertise into your fitness program. This is an exciting area for me as it compliments my interest and background equally.

Amidst the current affairs in cycling, my interest in the illegal practices of doping was piqued. Dr. Steffen Presten (team physician for the top US cycling program, Slipstream) referred me to their experts on the matter. They educated me on the reality of PED testing. The complexity of maintaining a clean sport is overwhelming and a real challenge. My take on these last 2 experiences will be forthcoming in articles for the Alternative Perspectives column on Gordoworld.

The experience isn’t over and I look forward to trips planned to the USOC training center, additional bike fitting instruction from Dan Empfield, and more practical experience with testing protocols. Stay tuned.

No comments: